Truck accidents can result in horrific accidents and injuries for victims. Legal protections are in place to help victims with the fallout from a truck accident. Victims should be familiar with those legal resources and also understand common causes of truck accidents.
Common causes of truck accidents
When a commercial vehicle such as a semi truck causes a truck accident, the common causes include:
- When traffic flow is interrupted and the truck driver fails to adjust for changing traffic conditions;
- The truck driver is unfamiliar with the roadway;
- The truck driver is driving too fast for conditions such as roadway, weather or other conditions such as traffic conditions;
- The truck driver made an illegal maneuver that led to the truck accident;
- Truck driver inattention resulted in the crash;
- Truck driver fatigue resulted in the crash;
- The truck driver made a poor assumption of the other driver’s actions; or
- The truck driver was distracted by an object or person inside the truck and some other reasons.
Legal protections for truck accident victims
Truck accident victims have legal protections when they have been harmed by the negligence or carelessness of a truck driver. A personal injury claim for damages can help them in a variety of ways including with their physical, financial and emotional damages including medical expenses, lost earnings and the emotional toll of being unexpectedly injured in a truck accident.
Victims can bring a personal claim for damages against a negligent truck driver or trucking company. The legal protections available can both help hold negligent drivers and trucking companies accountable and also help victims and their families with the recovery process.